Quantitative non-porous surface test without mechanical action for the evaluation of virucidal activity of chemical disinfectants used in the medical area (phase 2/step 2). (UNE-EN 16777: 2019 standard)
Test accredited in our laboratory by ENAC (Spanish National Accreditation Entity).
Test with the certificate of Good Laboratory Practice (GLPs).
This European Standard describes a test method and the minimum requirements for the virucidal activity of chemical disinfectants that form a homogeneous, physically stable preparation when diluted in hard water or, in the case of ready to use, in the water. This European Standard applies to products used in human medicine for disinfection of non-porous surfaces, including surfaces of medical devices, without mechanical action. This European Standard applies in areas and situations where disinfection is indicated in human medicine. Such indications can be found in the context of patient care, for example: in hospitals, medical centers and dental practices; in infirmaries of schools, kindergartens and old people's homes; and can also meet at workplaces or at home. They may also concern services such as laundries and kitchens that provide products directly to patients.
As indicated in EN 14885, to be able to claim virucidal activity against enveloped viruses, the product must meet both the requirements of EN 14476 and EN 16777 with Vaccinia virus; in order to qualify for “Limited spectrum virucidal activity”, it must meet the requirements of these two standards with Adenovirus and Murine norovirus. However, in order to qualify for “General virucidal activity”, the product must meet the requirements of EN 14476 with Poliovirus, Adenovirus and Murine Norovirus, and EN 16777 with Adenovirus and Murine Norovirus, since poliovirus does not resistant to drying. Virus that must be tested for EN 14476 are: Poliovirus, Adenovirus, Murine Norovirus; Limited Virucidal Activity: Adenovirus and Murine Norovirus; Virucidal activity against enveloped viruses: Vaccinia virus. Poliovirus cannot be used for surfaces testing according to EN 16777 because of drying problems that inactivate the virus. Therefore, the test according to EN 16777 Standard can be requested to be performed with Poliovirus and Adenovirus (to claim virucidal activity or limited spectrum virucidal activity) or only with Vaccinia virus (to declare activity against enveloped viruses). In the EN 16777 test, a virus suspension in a solution of interfering substances is deposited on a stainless steel test disc and dried. The temperature of assay must be chosen between 18°C and 25°C, as recommended by the manufacturer. The contact times of the surface disinfectants indicated should be chosen on the basis of the practical conditions of use of the product, but no longer than 5 or 60 minutes. The recommended contact time for the use of the product is the responsibility of the manufacturer. Products that are intended to disinfect surfaces likely to come into contact with the patient and/or medical personnel and surfaces frequently touched by different persons, which leads to the transmission of microorganisms to the patient, must be tested with a contact time of 5 minutes maximum. The same conditions apply when the contact time of the product has to be limited for practical reasons. Products intended for surfaces other than those mentioned above may be tested with a contact time of up to 60 minutes. For clean surfaces the interference substance is bovine albumin solution at 0.3 g/L, and for dirty conditions a bovine albumin solution at 3.0 g/L plus 3 ml of erythrocytes must be used. Where appropriate (specific uses), additional specific virucidal activity shall be determined with additional viruses, and under other conditions of time, temperature and interfering substances, in order to take into account, the specific conditions of use. As regards the additional conditions, the concentration thus defined may be lower than that obtained under the minimum test conditions. If the mandatory conditions are not tested, the test report will be issued with deviations from the guideline. For the product to show virucidal activity or limited spectrum virucidal activity according to EN 16777 standard, it must demonstrate at least a reduction of 4 log in the virus titre of the Adenovirus and Norovirus test strains, or Vaccinia virus, to demonstrate activity against enveloped viruses.
Cost of tests with the viruses required by the UNE-EN 16777 standard
- Basic price for “Virucidal activity or limited spectrum virucidal activity” according to EN 16777 standard, test with Adenovirus and murine Norovirus: consult.
- Basic price for “Activity against enveloped viruses” according to EN 16777 standard, test with Vaccinia virus: consult.
- Basic price for "General virucidal activity" according to EN 14476 standard (with Poliovirus, Adenovirus and Norovirus) and EN 16777 standard (Adenovirus and murine Norovirus): consult.
- Basic price for "Limited spectrum virucidal activity" according to EN 14476 standard (with Adenovirus and Norovirus) and EN 16777 standard (Adenovirus and murine Norovirus): consult.
- Basic price for "Activity against enveloped viruses", according to EN 14476 and EN 16777 standards, with Vaccinia virus: consult.
Cost of the tests with non-mandatory viruses by the EN 16777 standard:
- Basic price with Adenovirus type 2: consult.
- Basic price with Canine Distemper virus, family Paramyxoviridae, Genus Morbillivirus) using the surrogate measles virus (family Paramyxoviridae, Genus Morbillivirus): consult.
- Basic price with Human Coronavirus humano 229E: consult.
- Basic price with Enterovirus 71: consult.
- Basic price with Hepatitis A virus, HM-175 strain: consult.
- Basic price with Hepatitis B virus (HBV) with the Pseudorabies virus –PRV- as surrogate of HBV: consult.
- Basic Price for Hepatitis C virus (HCV) with the surrogate Bovine Viral Diarrheal virus -BVDV-: consult.
- Basic price with Herpes simplex virus (HSV): consult.
- Basic price with Human Immunodeficiency virus –HIV-, strain RF: consult.
- Basic price with Influenza A H1N1 virus (or other available strain: H1N1pdm; H3N2; H5N1): consult.
- Basic price with Influenza B virus: consult.
- Basic price with Measles virus: consult.
- Basic price with Mumps virus: consult.
- Basic Price with Papillomavirus (VPH) using the surrogate BK virus (Polyomavirus): consult.
- Basic Price with Papovavirus SV40, using the surrogate BK virus (Polyomavirus): consult.
- Basic price with Poliovirus type 1: consult.
- Basic price with Porcine Infuenza virus (Swine Influenza virus): consult.
- Basic price with Rhinovirus (ser. 14): consult..
- Basic price with Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV): consult.
- Basic price with Rotavirus: consult.